Getting in a car is not about getting to a destination as fast as possible. Instead, it is about safely getting to the final destination. Defense driving is a technique that shows drivers how to drive in a defensive way that will keep them out of harms way when possible.
Example: You are driving on a four lane highway. You are in the second to left lane and behind you, to your right and left are 18 wheeler trucks. A motorcyclist is in front of you and a car zooms ahead of the truck and barely has room to get in front of you. You are driving two miles over the speed limit and a little over a car lengths room is between you and the motorcyclist. The car zooming ahead of you gets in front of you and scrapes your fender. Now, had you been driving defensively and obeying the stated speed limit, the car trying to get ahead of the 18 wheeler would have not hit you. Defensive driving teaches you to obey all lawful speed limits and the importance of having at least a car and a half lengths between you and any other driver.
Tips for Defensive Driving
- Always follow the laws- speed limits, traffic warnings, construction zones.
- Inclement weather? Slow down, pull over to the side of the road and wait for the weather to clear.
- Know escape routes. Escape routes can be considered back roads and connecting highways. Police stations and hospitals should be programmed into your GPS or at least know where they are.
- Leave at least a car and a half lengths between you and any other car.
- Mirrors are made to be looked into; use them.
- Do not drive for just yourself, but the other drivers on the road as well.
Defensive Driving Schools
Many states offer defensive driving schools as a way to lower insurance rates. Also, if you were to be speeding and received a ticket, you may do a defensive driving course in order to have the ticket voided. An excellent option for many students, is to do their defensive driving course through an online program.
Remember, defensive driving is a way to safely get from point a to point b. Whether you are wanting to take a course to gain confidence in your driving abilities or to get out of a ticket, defensive driving can help you become a safer driver.